Motivation and Goals
The ability to develop robust and optimized biotechnological processes is of considerable interest to many biotech-industries, since it can enable them to reduce their production costs, while, at the same time, maintaining the quality of the target products. However, the raw material variability, highly dynamic nature of bioprocesses poses great difficulties to bioprocess monitoring and bioprocess control approaches. Prerequisite for successful process control is the control of process parameters including cell specific growth, nutrient conversion as well as production rates using enhanced bioprocess technology solutions including digital twins.
We are in the comfortable position that we got granted multiple prestigious projects, in which we can establish sophisticated bioprocess environments fitted out with PAT and deploy digital twins. We are targeting biopharmaceutical products from microbial and mammalian hosts but also address advanced therapies, such as using natural killer cells.
In close cooperation with the project partners, You as Postdoc position will:
- Establish comprehensive bioprocessing solutions, including set up of bioreactor environments, by combining hardware and latest digital transformation approaches, such as coupling digital twins
- Lead and guide a team of bioprocess engineers, biotechnologists and data scientist
- Develop workflows for efficient bioprocess development and establishing control strategies
- Run control strategies in real-time in our sophisticated bioprocess environment using selected PAT tools.
- Verify them on different industrially relevant large molecule biopharmaceutical production platforms
- Take over the operative project responsibility for at least two already granted projects including keeping timelines of deliverables, communication to project partners etc.
- Collaborate with the internal team lead on PAT and multi variate data analysis
- PhD in Bioprocess Technology, Biotechnology, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar
- Sound lab experience in bioprocessing
- Knowledge in developing models and used to handle large data sets using data science tools is desired
- Experience in numerical programming skills such as Matlab® and Python® is an asset
- A superior command of English, work experience abroad is an additional asset
- You should be accustomed to networked critical analytical thinking, scientifically interested and able to work in a team
- Work in a multidisciplinary Team
- Connect with industry and learn their language and thinking
- Intensification skills in highly requested field of process system engineering and data science
- Possibility to guide PhD projects, lead a research team and take the possibility to deeper collaborate with other team members inside and outside of the organization
Time-frame & Salary
- This position starts on April 1st 2023 and is scheduled for at least 3 years.
- The monthly minimum wage is currently € 4.061,50 (14x per year), before tax, at a 40h/week employment and can be increased according to the qualification profile
- The TU Wien aims to increase the proportion of women and encourages qualified women to apply.