Background & Project Goal
Natural Killer (NK) cells are emerging on the field of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs). Within the manufacturing workflow for generation of the required amount of functional NK cells, the ex-vivo expansion is crucial, however that is not an easy task, because the final in-vivo therapeutic efficacy of a cell product depends to a large extent on the starting material and the culturing process.
Hence, we need to understand the impact of the cultivation parameters on product quality. With data of cell cultures and state-of-the-art analytics provided by the project partners, TU Wien’s role is to generate the process understanding by generating a digital twin, linking process parameters, including raw material characteristics, and product quality attributes.
- Develop to be a scientific expert in the area of NK processes with a strong background in mathematical modelling.
- Develop appropriate digital twins, based on mechanistic, hybrid, and statistical approaches, to address scientifically relevant challenges.
- Use the possibility to augment these models with systems biotechnology approaches such as metabolic flux analysis.
- Responsible for experimental planning of NK processes and subsequent analysis of cell culture process data using advanced modeling tools.
- Master in Bioprocess Technology, Biotechnology, Process Engineering, Process Systems Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar.
- Sensitivity for data analysis and statistical assessment of large data sets including background in mechanistic and hybrid modelling (Python, MATLAB®), Openness for new data analysis techniques and ability to learn and apply them
- Experience in bioprocess technology of cell cultures and corresponding analytics
- Knowledge of multivariate data analysis
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English, German is beneficial
Time-frame & Salary
The monthly minimum wage is currently € 2’237,- (14x per year), before tax at a 30 h/week employment. Applicants have no claim for reimbursement of travel costs arising from the recording process. The university aims to increase the proportion of women especially in scientific personnel and encourages qualified women to apply.
This PhD position starts on April 1st, 2022 and is scheduled for 3 years.