Motivation and Goals of this position
Circular Economy solutions, such as biofuel production from renewable resources, live from optimized operating conditions of the entire value chain. However, varying raw material quality and multiple process parameters may challenge product quality and process performance,calling for proper multidimensional and/or non linear process control solutions. We strongly believe, that the deployment of Digital Twins, such as a hybrid model which is deployed in a real-time context, is the key enabler for this task.
This PhD position focusses on the deployment of a digital twin in a biofuel production process in manufacturing scale. The goal is to revisit the model assumptions, extend the model, possibly by own model based experimental designs and tune the model in the control system. Moreover, we target to extend the model for controlling process chains, hence multiple unit operations.
- Master of Science in Bioprocess Technology, Biotechnology, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar.
- Experience in analytical methods and background in bioprocess technology
- Curiosity and patience to transfer established methods to the emerging field of Circular Economy
- Sensitivity for data analysis and statistical assessment of large data sets including strong background in mechanistic and hybrid modelling (Python, MATLAB)
- A superior command of English
- You should be accustomed to networked critical analytical thinking, scientifically interested and able to work in a team respecting tight project timelines.
This work will be done in joint cooperation with TU WIEN, Research Area of Biochemical Engineering. We offer a highly interesting, diversified position comprising bioprocess technology and modelling tools projected on circular economy bioprocesses in tight cooperation applied basic science projects with industrial partners.
The monthly minimum wage is currently € 2.148, 00 (14x per year), before tax, at a 30h/week employment.
The competence centre aims to increase the proportion of women and encourages qualified women to apply.