Motivation and Goals of this position
Palm oil is a very productive crop. It offers a far greater yield at a lower cost of production than other vegetable oils. Global production of and demand for palm oil is increasing rapidly, but such expansion comes at the expense of tropical forests. We want to produce palm oil synthetically!
Circular Economy solutions focus on the production of high value products from renewable resources and the usage of industrial waste streams. In recent years, our extremophiles team has developed an innovative process for biological treatment of industrial waste water. By using extreme organisms, organic components in the waste water can be utilized to form biomass and bio-based products. In this way, we are able to offer a sustainable way for treatment of industrial brine and provide a solution for circular economy.
This project offers the unique opportunity to explore a new route of producing palm oil derivatives. Using extremophile organisms. The goal is to carry out a feasibility study, which comprises:
- Can extremophiles generally produce palm oil derivates
- Which derivates are produced?
- Can we steer the production of specific derivates and how can process technology help in this?
- Can CO2 be used as alternative carbon source?
- Experience in bioanalytical methods
- Background in bioprocess technology
- Curiosity and patience to transfer established bioprocessing methods to the emerging field of Circular Economy
- A superior command of English
- You should be accustomed to networked critical analytical thinking, scientifically interested and able to work in a team respecting tight project timelines.
We offer a highly interesting, diversified position comprising bioprocess technology projected on circular economy bioprocesses in tight cooperation applied basic science projects with industrial partners.
Time-frame and salary
This work will be done at TU WIEN, Research Area of Biochemical Engineering and can start on May 1st 2021. It is scheduled for 6 months and compensated with 300 € per month.