Refolding of proteins from Inclusion Bodies (IBs) poses a viable alternative to soluble expression of proteins, since the IBs consist of the target protein with high purity, high concentrations, and high stability. Recently, these benefits led to a huge potential for the commercial production of proteins based on IB processes. Here, the refolding step is the crucial unit operation in the downstream processing chain.Effective refolding depends on process parameters like processing mode, pH, ionic strength, and temperature. However, for proteins with disulfide bridges the redox environment is also a crucial parameter to boost refolding yields. Characterization and establishment of control strategies is necessary to obtain competitive product yields.
- Characterization of the refolding environment for efficient refolding of model proteins (e.g. Galactose Oxidase)
- Development and adaptation of refolding models
- Implementation and comparison of control strategies in a CSTR
- Master studies in Biotechnology, Process engineering, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics or a related field
- Experience in bioanalytical methods and standard lab work
- Sensitivity for data analysis and statistical assessment of large data sets (e.g. Python, MATLAB)
- Curiosity and patience to transfer established methods to the emerging field of protein refolding.
- A superior command of English
- Critical analytical thinking, scientific interest and the ability to work in a team
- Work in a multidisciplinary team on a future-oriented topic
- Intensification of skills in the fields of bioprocess technology, bioanalytics, simulation, and modelling
Time-frame and salary
This work is scheduled for 6 months and is compensated with 300 € per month