Motivation and Goals of this position
What is the most effective way to minimize the environmental footprint of each individual on our planet? Exactly, by creating solutions that avert climate change and preserve nature but still offer the same comfort we are used to and that everyone can love.
Today, we stand on the cusp of the next revolution in food production, and instead of using extremely inefficient microorganisms to create food that is build up by nutrients such as proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, we can simply domesticated microorganisms to do the same job with a much higher conversion rate.
Within this project, you are part of a R&D team that develops technology to produce animal proteins but without the animal. One key enabler of our time is precision fermentation that allows to program microbes for the creation of almost any complex organic molecule -including proteins to replace conventional livestock farming.
- Collaboration with strain engineer in media design and further upstream processing
- Process design of economically viable fermentation process in due consideration of GRAS
- Design, planning and execution of lab scale fermentation experiments for target protein production
- Downstream process using various methods not limited to centrifugation, (micro-)filtration, precipitation etc.
- Master studies in Biotechnology, Bioprocess technology, Biochemistry, or a related field
- Basic Experience with bioreactor technology
- Sensitivity for data analysis and statistical assessment of large data sets (Python, MATLAB®) is advantageous.
- Curiosity and patience to transfer established methods to the emerging field of novel food fermentation
- A superior command of English
- You should be accustomed to networked, critical, and analytical thinking, be scientifically interested and be able to work in a team respecting tight project timelines.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team on a future-oriented topic
- Connect with industry and learn their language and thinking
- Intensification of skills in the field bioprocess technology and genetic engineering
Time-frame and salary
This work will be done at TU WIEN, Research Area of Biochemical Engineering and can start in November 2021. It is scheduled for 6 months and compensated with 300 € per month.